238 views |0 comments

Written by: Tanvi Mishra (Intern)
Edited by: Anubhav Yadav (Content Head & Developer)

The Supreme Court of India during a suo moto cognizance case lambasted the Central Government over various flaws.

It highlighted several points:

1. Article 1 of the Indian constitution states that India, that is Bharat, is a union of states. That means we have to follow the federal rule and so it is the duty of the Central Government to procure vaccines and distribute them equally among the states.

2. 50 per cent population between the ages of 18 to 44 cannot afford these vaccines. It is important to think about the marginalized section of the society as well.

3. Also, forcing the state governments to purchase vaccines at the commercial rate would pose a threat for the minorities of the state.

4. The Apex Court suggested that the rational method of proceeding in a manner which is consistent with the Article 21 of the Indian constitution i.e. Right to life is that the central government should negotiate with the vaccine manufacturers for the price and they after they allot the quantity, each state can lift the allocated quantity and can start the distribution in their respected states.

After the suo moto case by the Supreme Court, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation and made several announcements. He started with the achievements during the COVID-19. He mentioned how the government was able to Setup effective policies and how they supported in the development of the health infrastructure and the production of more and more oxygen, because this is the first time when we required oxygen in such a huge amount.

The Court also mentioned on how India was able to make its own vaccines while earlier it took decades to import them from other nations. He also mentioned about the fact that the scientists in India are still researching on three other vaccines and a nasal vaccine which can be of great help.

Now, most importantly the Prime Minster mentioned about the decentralization of vaccines. He clearly stated that there were several states who wanted the decentralization of this vaccination drive because according to them Health is something which comes under the state government after which 25 per cent of the work was allocated to the state governments. But, they were facing difficulties and were not able to handle the vaccination drive after which the government has again centralized it.

Prime Minster also mentioned that from now onwards the vaccination for the people between 18 to 44 years will be provided free of cost. The government will buy 75 per cent of the vaccines from the manufacturers and will provide it to the state government free of cost. The rest 25 per cent is reserved for the private hospitals. Only Rs. 150 service charge can be claimed by the private hospitals and not more than that. The Prime Minister concluded the speech by stating that the PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana will be extended till Diwali and around 80 crore people will be provided with free food to eat.

Share

Post comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *